10th international competition of young dance performers
The aim of this competition is to promote contemporary dance and discover fresh talents. The aim is not to push for competitiveness, but rather to foster creativity of young performers.
In 2018, OPUS 1 is celebrating its 10th anniversary and is turning into a biennial event.
The 10th International Competition of Young Dance Performers OPUS 1 – short dance piece 2018 (Slovenian National Theatre Celje, 31st March 2018) is open to dancers born between 1994 and 2003, who can apply with:
– A solo dance piece which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancer
– A duet, which is both conceived and choreographed by the performing dancers – shared authorship
Dancers who apply must reside outside of Slovenia. Dancers residing in Slovenia must reach the international competition through national contests.
Age groups and lengths of short dance pieces:
Group B (born between 1999 and 2003) – maximum 4 minutes;
Group C (born between 1994 and 1998) – maximum 5 minutes
THEME: Cultural Heritage; Title: MY YESTERDAYS DANCE WITH ME
The organiser of the competition selects a theme that the young dance performers must use as a basis for their short dance piece. The themes are meant to stimulate young dancers to think critically about topical issues and provide them with an incentive to get to know, research, create and think.
UNESCO declared 2018 as the European Year of Cultural Heritage. This year’s theme for OPUS thus wants to encourage creativity through reviving our legacy. (see attachment for more!)
The jury will be composed from three renowned international dance experts. In previous years, jury members included Susan Quinn, Matej Kejžar, Martin Sonderkamp, Milan Tomášik (Les SlovaKs), John Taylor, Magdalena Reiter, Eduardo Torroja, Ryuzo Fukuhara, Roberto Olivan, Boštjan Antončič (Rosas), Aleksandra Janeva Imfeld …
This year’s jury will be announced as soon as it is confirmed!
The prizes will be awarded for:
– The Best short dance piece- dance performance and choreography (group B: EUR 300, group C: EUR 800)
– The Best idea (group B: EUR 150, group C: EUR 400)
– The Best dancer (group B: EUR 150, group C: EUR 400)
Apart from these awards, performers will also vie for the following:
– Dance studio Intakt and JSKD will select a young dance artist, who will get a grant for producing a new dance project, which will be premiered at the OPUS 2019 and have a postproduction at the Platforma festival of contemporary dance in Maribor
– A young jury will select one short dance piece and award its performer with participation at dance classes and workshops at the international summer dance school in Ljubljana
– Matjaz Farič, artistic director of the international contemporary dance festival Front@, will select dance pieces, which will be featured at the 13th edition of the Front@ festival, September 2018.
The deadline for applications is 18 February 2018. The application must be submitted online until 18th February 2018, 12.00 AM CET and is only complete if it includes a link to the dance piece (and its rehearsal) which shall be presented at the competition. Only complete applications, submitted before the deadline, shall be considered.
There is no entrance fee. A curatorship will select young dance performers on the basis of the received videos to participate in the competition. The successful dancers will receive an invitation by 26th February 2018 at the latest. The competitors must confirm their appearance by 5th March 2018. If the competitors do confirm their participation in time, the invitation will become invalid.
Please make sure that you read the rules and instructions and follow them to the letter.
More information, photographs and videos of previous competitions can be found at: http://www.jskd.si
General information and contacts:
Republic of Slovenia Public Fund for Cultural Activities (JSKD)
Štefanova 5, PO Box 1699, 1000 Ljubljana
Tel.: 00 386 (0)1 24 10 522
Fax: 00 386 (0)1 24 10 510